Thursday 8 November 2007

students and health professionals

Hi all,
just wanted to share an experience i had with a nurse during my last prac. I had gone into the room where the nurse was and began my assessment. I was auscultating and making sure i respected the privacy of the patient (she was female). The nurse suddenly interrupted me and began to lecture me on how i was being inappropriate and rude as i hadn't shut the blinds whilst examining. I had made sure the patient was covered the entire time throughout my assessment and explained this to the nurse but she continued to disagree and lecture me in a quite condescending manner. In the end, I did what she said. I felt as a student, she was very intolerant to me. I mentioned what happened to my supervisor and she agreed with me, but did think it was just easier to comply with the nurse. I'm sure everyone has had a similar experience with some other health professional but any suggestions on how we can change this 'student' status? and how others perceive students?

2 comments:

stace said...

hi hollie,
i think that there will probably be at least one nurse/health proffesional who likes to show their aurthority when it comes to students... i think it may just be a personality thing! i guess we just do what we can and not let it get to us, whilst counting down the last days left as students! :)

Anonymous said...

I had a similiar experience on my rural prac where the patient had open his bowels and I asked a nurse if she could help me out when she was free and if she wasn't I could do it myself and she looked at me and rolled her eyes saying "gee some students really lack common sense - of course i'll do it" I didn't mean at all to pressure her into doing it, but all along throughout the prac she already had that attitude that she was boss and i was the student. I know we are encouraged to communicate with other medical staff but as stace said...you get the odd one now and then :P