Thursday 15 November 2007

Major Issues

Hi everyone. I have had a very difficult past few days of prac which is looking like it will result in an extra placement after the PCR. The placement has been quite messy with my supervisor often away but I felt it was going okay and I was at least passable. Things kind of exploded on Tuesday, and I discovered that there had been conversations going on about things occurring that they were not happy with. Had they bothered to ask me or anyone else involved in some of these issues it could have been explained and handled with next to no fuss. Instead it's suddenly a massive problem brought up half way through my last week.

An example included that one morning when my supervisor was not at work, she had organised for me to attend a few speech sessions. That morning the speechie came and spoke to me and said that because of the sensitive nature of two of the sessions it would be better if I didn't attend. I said that was fine, and went on with some reading and preparation (this was in the 2nd week). It was then brought to me by my CCT this Tuesday (still no one at the facility spoke to me about it) that they thought it was unprofessional that I had not turned up to scheduled speech sessions as arranged.

The other situations were similar to this involving miscommunication. In hind sight I acknowledge that some issues could have been prevented by extra communication on my part, but others couldn't.

I had the OT come and yell at me in a rather unprofessional manner, for things that hadn't been classified as requirements to me, stating she didn't "give a rats" what I had been doing that morning. This was in front of my supervisor. Had I been unsure I have have clarified myself, but as far as I was concerned I knew what was expected.

My main frustration with this situation is that on the Tuesday of my final week, this all came to the surface, when it had been being discussed behind my back the entire placement. It was not brought up at mid-placement Ax. As far as I was concerned they were "reasonably happy".

I recognise what my responsibilities were, but without the feedback..?

I am still attending my final two days, despite being told I will fail the FCT assessment, and am hoping to pass my final CCT one. If I have to do another placement I will do one, but without the appropriate feedback and support I'm not sure passing this one was ever a possibility.

If anyone has been in even a slightly similar situation I would really appreciate your input.
Thanks

1 comment:

Trudi said...

Hi Meg,

Without knowing intricate details that would not be appropriate to post here - the only thing I have to offer is:
Is / was your CCT able to liaise with your FCT? (although this may not have been appropriate).
And;
Do you feel you need to speak with Amanda or Kerry about this?

You have a really good attitude about the possibility of repeating a placement btw.

4th year is tough in so many respects - you have to grow up so fast in so many areas - and not all of these are directly related to physio skills. Interpersonal skills are skills you continue to develop through life (never stop learning...).

I have a feeling you know how you'd change your style/amount of communication in the next situation. At the end of the day, put it all down as an extra experience that will only develop your skills for the better in the future.

And take heart that it doesn't matter how much experience you have in any field or even how old you are - we never, ever stop learning, growing and developing. In fact, if we ever think we know everything - that's when we need to think again.

Trudi