Thursday 8 November 2007

Activating Dorsiflexors

We have just learnt a technique from one of the senior neuro physios to activate dorsiflexors where dorsiflexion activation is a deficit. It involves applying pressure/compression between the fourth and fifth metatarsal space of the foot and this would elicit toes extension and some dorsiflexion. I've put this to the test to two of my patients (MS and BG-stroke) and they were amazed at the reflex that was elicited from the pressure applied. However the effect on the actual active-dorsiflexion in gait is yet to be observed but I am positive that this technique would prove helpful!

1 comment:

hollie said...

Wei...
I learnt that same technique whilst on my neuro placement also. It really does faciltate a nice dorsiflexor activation. I used it in a patient with MS and was having problems with foot clearance during swing phase. After a few sessions of trying to improve her clearance (and using the reflex), i did find her dorsiflexion during swing phase improved and subsuqently had better clearance.