Monday 12 November 2007

Change of approach

Just wanted to share something related to one of my previous posts about trying to get compliance out of a 5 year old. My last session with this client was really successful and I came up with a few reasons for this.
Firstly my supervisor was not in the room so I felt my confidence in myself and my abilities without looking over my shoulder.
Secondly, it was mainly a treatment whereas previous sessions had involved compulsory parts of assessment that I really had to push through to get a baseline.
Thirdly, I changed my style with her. Together we constructed an obstacle course, and I think this made her feel involved and allowed her to include things that she enjoyed and found easier. Consequently I could slip parts in that were more difficult and challenging for her. I had a lot of different ideas to work with that I could bounce back and forth to if she refused one activity. Due to her compliance the session was shorter and more effective and I ended up feeling quite good about it.
I know that there were a few factors that contributed to this session, but I choose to believe my adjustments and ideas were part of it!

1 comment:

stace said...

Hi meg,
Im sure your ideas and changes helped! its great when something you do helps so much, or after trying so many different things you finally come up with something that works - it is a great confidence booster and definately puts you in a good mood to tackle the next problem/patient that comes along :)