Thursday 8 November 2007

Final prac...

Hi everyone,
Hope the last placement of the year is going ok, not too long to go now! i just wanted to write about the differences i have found between my first placement of the year and this one...
I have found that all of the physiotherapists i am working with treat me as one of them rather than as a student, and they often make comments 'well your more a real physio now than a student' (it may just be a good placement with nice people!) and i feel that this is because we are so close to finishing. i definately have been given more responsibilities, and am left to do a couple of wards a day on my own, and even take outpatient appointments on my own (womens health). i find this really enjoyable (others hate the sink or swim scenario) as it definately makes me work harder, manage my time more efficiently and learn a lot more.
has anyone else found this on with the last few placements, or do you still feel as though a lot of the supervisors still treat you as though you are on your first placement ever?!!

2 comments:

hollie said...

Yes definately. having already completed my finalo prac (ICU) we were doing shift work and it was just one physio and yourself looking after the ward. My supervisor definately treated me like a collegue rather than a student as we had equal number of patients and were let to go about our day by ourselves, only approaching them if we needed help. and they did always say you are pretty much 'one of us now' which did make you feel heaps me confident.

Lil Johns said...

Hey Stace,
I also completed my last prac a while ago and again had the same experienced. My supervisor and the other physio working on the ward were both young females and I was given a pt load on my own literally from day 1 and treated like one of them! It was fabulous and I felt I got so much more out of the prac and feel so much more ready to enter the workforce as I know I can manage independently!